For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and UK data protection laws, the controller is MLW Accountants of 53 Wroxham Road, Poole, Dorset BH12 1NL.
About this document
How we collect your information
We may collect your personal data by means of a form on our website or by telephone, email, post or in person.
We may collect this data in the following ways:
- Directly from you, when you complete the enquiry form on our website, when you email or phone us with an enquiry regarding our services or requesting us to carry out services for you.
- When we contact you requesting information to complete the services you have requested.
- From a third party such as HM Revenue & Customs or Companies House where you have given them authorisation to share information with us.
- From a third party you have requested to contact us such as mortgage advisers
- From agencies assisting us to meet our regulatory requirements such as those providing Anti Money Laundering checks.
The types of information we collect
We may collect the following types of personal information about you:
- Contact information, including email addresses, telephone numbers and postal addresses
- Personal information, including date of birth, national insurance number UTR number
- Earnings information, including those from self employment, employment, pensions, state benefits, property and investments
- Financial information, including bank account details
- Records of communications and interactions we have had with you
- Information relevant to our provision of the services we offer
Why we use personal data
We use your personal data in order to enable us to deliver and charge for the services we provide in accordance with our contractual obligations, including the provision of administrative and technical support. For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and UK Data Protection laws, when processing your personal data we are relying on the legal basis of:
- Our contract with you
- Our legitimate interest in being able to take payment from you
The information we collect and process is required for us to be able to perform our contractual obligations and receive payment from you for the services we provide. Should you fail to provide this information, we would not be able to deliver the contracted services.
Sharing your information with others
We do not sell your personal data. We may share your personal data with another party, including bookkeepers, other accountants, HMRC, Companies House, banks, lenders, financial and mortgage advisers, letting and reference agents, so long as we are able to determine that the other party is acting on your behalf.
How long your information is kept
We keep your personal data only for as long as necessary. Law dictates that your accounts and taxation information is kept for a minimum of 6 years, this law overrides GDPR. Payment information is not held after payment is made.
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a ‘data subject access request’). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us to continue to hold or process it. Please note we are required by law to keep accounting and taxation records for 6 years. You also have the right to ask us to remove or delete your personal data where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal data in particular ways, including processing based on the lawful basis of legitimate interests and direct marketing.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal data about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to yourself or another party in a safe secure way, without affecting its usability, for example in a format that is structured, commonly used, and machine-readable.
Please note that the above rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply. Further details regarding these rights can be found on the Information Commissioner’s Office website:
Contact and complaints
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By telephone: 07900 924872
- By post: MLW Accountants, 53 Wroxham Road, Poole, BH12 1NL
If you are not satisfied with how we are processing your personal data, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner. You can find out more about your rights under applicable data protection laws from the Information Commissioner’s Office website: https://ico.org.uk/